Blood is the elixir of life. With every beat of the heart, blood circulates through the vessels of the body bringing the cells life-sustaining oxygen, nutrients, and hormones while removing waste products that can be toxic. This process continues second after second, minute after minute, day after day throughout life. This first program in the three-part Blood Collection series reviews the anatomic and physiologic considerations related to phlebotomy - the collection of blood - as well as describe the most common blood tests.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:•
- Differentiate between the five types of blood vessels
- Identify the locations of three preferred sites for venipuncture
- Name the three formed elements found in blood
- Name the four blood types
- List seven common blood tests