Labor is the apt term to describe the birthing process, which is laborious and painful. This course describes how the body responds to pain during labor, and provides a detailed overview of the different pain relief techniques and medications that are available.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Discuss how the body responds to pain during the stages of labor
- Define various non-pharmacologic methods of pain relief for the mother
- Discuss the different types of medication and regional anesthesia that can be used to reduce pain during labor
- Describe advantages and disadvantages of different pain relief methods
- Compare the effects of different types of pain relief medications on both the mother and fetus