The pregnant woman experiences significant changes during pregnancy that affect all of her major body systems and emotions. This program focuses on the physiological and emotional changes a woman goes through during pregnancy, and includes information that can assist the nurse in caring for and reassuring her pregnant patients. Patient history and prenatal care is also discussed.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Distinguish normal gestation from preterm gestation
- Identify all of the major physical changes that occur during pregnancy
- Distinguish how these wide ranging physical changes can affect a pregnant woman's physical and emotional functioning and well being
- Identify appropriate information that should be gathered and tests that should be taken during initial obstetrical visits
- Use specific terms to identify number of pregnancies and number of deliveries for each patient
- Identify the various laboratory tests and monitoring procedures that must be performed at various points during the pregnancy